Water is an essential component of life. Whether you are trying to lose weight, or are just trying to be healthy, it is important to drink enough. Unfortunately, most of us do not get enough to drink. We are supposed to drink half our weight (in pounds) in ounces per day. While many believe that eight 8-oz glasses of water is enough, that is only true if we weigh 128 pounds or less. A 200-pound person would need to drink 100 ounces (or slightly more than three 32-oz glasses) of water a day. On hot days, or if we drink caffeine, we might need more. Juice, alcohol, soda, coffee and tea don’t cut it; we need water. So how do we drink the daily amount that we need? Here are some tips:
Put your water into larger glasses. If you’re مياه thirsty and you have a large glass of water in front of you, you just might drink it all. Pick a cup that is large, but not so large that you won’t want to drink out of it. A 32-oz bottle works for me; others may find that 16, 20, or even 64 ounce bottles work better for them.
- Purchase a water cooler, or use a water delivery service. If you have a water cooler in your house, it’s a lot more convenient to drink more water, because there’s always cold, filtered water available. I prefer buying the water cooler and filling up 3-gallon jugs myself, as it saves money over water delivery, but others may like the convenience of having it brought to their door.
- Drink water when you wake up. It’s common to be thirsty when you wake up; drink a glass as part of your morning routine.
- Take water with you. Most cars have cup holders; when you get in the car, take a water bottle with you.
- Find water that you like the taste of. If you don’t like the taste of the water that comes from your tap, use a filtration system, or buy it from the store. If you’re concerned about the environment, you can purchase it out of a machine that dispenses water and use your own reusable bottles.
- Drink before a meal. Water acts as an appetite suppressant; if you drink some before your meal, you may end up eating less.
- Try putting lemon slices in your glass. It might be easier to drink if it has a little flavor.
- Drink water instead of soda. If you’re used to drinking a lot of soda, you might want to try substituting your soda with healthy liquid refreshment. You might want the soda later, but start out with something that’s healthy.
- Don’t try to drink your daily allotment all at once. You don’t have to drink all of your liquid at one time; in fact, it’s better for you to drink throughout the day. Spread out your hydration throughout the day, and it will be easier to drink.
- Don’t get discouraged if it’s difficult at first. It may be difficult to drink all the liquid that you need at first, but don’t give up. Drink what you can, and eventually you will be able to get more into your life.